Pages

Friday, January 7, 2011

Homemade Holiday Apparel

My baby boy is growing up. How can he be turning 3 so soon?! He'll always be my baby, but a tall lovely boy is emerging...one who likes to tell us he's a "big boy" often. For the past 2 years I've sewn him holiday longalls, but this year I knew it was time to move on to "big boy" apparel. I decided to applique a long sleeved shirt and match it to a sweet pair of soft corduroy pants. Ta-da!


I found several Tree-in-a-Truck applique files online, but landed on this one at Planet Applique. It resembles Daddy's truck closest, and little boy is all about equipment these days. The red gingham truck fabric is left over from the very first holiday outfit, the gray pattern bumpers were in my stash, and I picked up the wheel & tree fabrics at Hancock. The tires are black corduroy with a black & white polka dot cotton print in the hubs. The green fur tree was a really fun find. It matched the pants perfectly and little boy loved touching it! I originally wanted a green corduroy tree, but things have a way of creatively working out for the best!


This may be the most complex applique I've stitched to-date. I had to baby-sit it like mad, but had fun making it come together. The fur could have been a disaster, but I tamed the beast and would use it again. I also used Heat 'n Bond Lite for the first time. I've been reading about others swearing by it, and am so glad I tried something new. It really gives the applique an extra smooth and professional finish.



As usual, our holiday season flew by. We visited with Santa (aka Ho Ho Ho) at least 3 times, took a holiday train ride, and even met Frosty & Rudolph. I guess this shirt is now set to hang with other special garments of holidays past. Sigh. Perhaps one day I will make a quilt or other keepsake with all of his mommie-made things...or hold on to them for his children to wear. My mother has a cedar chest full of homemade lovelies just waiting for the next generation. What a southern & grand tradition - I love passing it on!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails