Pages

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Handmade Valentines

February snuck right in didn't it?! With less than 2 weeks until Valentine's Day, I thought I'd share a fun project. Last year I made felt chocolate chip cookies for each of my son's preschool classmates. I love felt food, and figured a cookie would be a fun addition to all of the play kitchens out there!


My supplies consisted of:
light & dark brown felt
lightweight batting
 coordinating thread
 clear cellophane bags
blank card stock for the adorable printables
a hole punch & ribbon

I started by making a paper pattern for the cookie and chips. I used my Martha Stewart circle cutter, but you could easily trace anything like the bottom of a glass or small bowl. Once I settled on sizes I liked, I cut out my felt pieces. Then I cut batting circles slightly smaller than the cookies.



Using doubled up dark brown thread, I hand stitched 3-4 chips on each felt cookie top. I even cut a few of the chips in half to place along edges. Once all the chips were in place, I sandwiched the batting between a top and bottom layer. Lastly I used a decorative zig-zag machine stitch with light brown thread to seal up each cookie.  Good enough to eat!

 

To specially package each cookie for Valentines Day, I used individual cellophane bags, folded them closed and punched a couple of holes up top to attach the Valentine. I even ran the blank back side thru the printer to include "to and from" details. I used my trusty paper cutter to set each lovable critter free, punched a hole in the corner and tied it on with red ribbon. Voila!


This was a fun project and easy to whip up for the 2 year old set. With so many other projects going on this year, I'm pretty sure big boy's classroom Valentines won't be as creative, and that's ok. Or so I keep telling myself! This year he's going with a box of good ol' standard Thomas the Train cards. It will be his turn to color & scribble on them to his heart's content. I used to love preparing & bringing home my decorated paper bag full of Valentines back in the day, and I'm sure my boy will too no matter what's inside.

If you're looking for fun free printables this year, check out Anders Ruff. SO cute! And another great list of links to peruse is here. Many can even be printed in black & white so your child can color them in. Happy printing and creating!


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails